Health Care Bureau
The Attorney General's Office Health Care Bureau has the goal of helping Arkansans navigate the sometimes complicated and frustrating health-care system. A part of the Consumer Protection Division, the Bureau responds to consumer complaints about unfair and misleading practices by health-care organizations by engaging in an informal resolution process. An attorney and investigator from the Health Care Bureau can help explain billing and insurance issues, andassist consumers with other health-care related issues.
The Bureau represents consumers by enforcing the Arkansas Deceptive Trade Practices Act and other health-related consumer protection laws through investigation and legal action. The Health Care Bureau:
- Helps consumers get out of Medicare plans they have been enrolled in without their consent or knowledge.
- Helps secure refunds when consumers purchase products that are marketed or advertised in a misleading manner.
- Helps consumers get refunds for laboratory service claims that were improperly submitted.
- Coordinates efforts to provide necessary medical services to home-bound consumers.
- Assists consumers who may have been referred to collection agencies prematurely because medical claims weren’t submitted properly to health insurance companies.
- Works on behalf of consumers with unmanageable medical bills to negotiate payment plans with hospitals and clinics.
- Works with the Prescription Assistance Program to help consumers get needed prescription drugs they may be unable to afford.