Health Care Bureau
The Attorney General's office Health Care Bureau has the goal of helping Arkansans navigate the sometimes complicated and frustrating health care system. A part of the Consumer Protection Division, the Bureau responds to consumer complaints about unfair and misleading practices by health care organizations by engaging in an informal resolution process. An attorney and investigator from the Health Care Bureau can help explain billing and insurance issues, and assist consumers with other health care related issues.
The Bureau represents consumers by enforcing the Arkansas Deceptive Trade Practices Act and other health-related consumer protection laws through investigation and legal action. The Health Care Bureau:
- Helps consumers get out of Medicare plans they have been enrolled in without their consent or knowledge.
- Helps secure refunds when consumers purchase products that are marketed or advertised in a misleading manner.
- Helps consumers get refunds for laboratory service claims that were improperly submitted.
- Coordinates efforts to provide necessary medical services to home-bound consumers.
- Assists consumers who may have been referred to collection agencies prematurely because medical claims were not submitted properly to health insurance companies.
- Works on behalf of consumers with unmanageable medical bills to negotiate payment plans with hospitals and clinics.
- Works with the Prescription Assistance Program to help consumers get needed prescription drugs they may be unable to afford.